Sunday, June 5, 2011

Graduation

High school graduation was a couple of days ago. We teachifiers are required to sit up on the stand and watch the whole process. Although some teachers hate it, I love it. I love to see all those students walk by. Since I know most of them, I always feel so proud of them for their accomplishment. In fact, occasionally I might shed a tear or two when a student walks by. Not because I’m sad, but because as they walk by, the life lessons I’ve learned from them flash before me.

See, I just don’t think high schoolers realize the impact they have on their ornery old teachers like me (and yes, I am old). We get paid to plan lessons, teach, and grade papers, but somehow, in the end, I think I learn more than my students than they do from me.

When I tell grown-upified people I teach teenagers for my profession, they cringe. “How can you put up with them every day?” they wonder. But that question always just confuses me. I have no answer because, honestly, I don’t understand it. I don’t “put up” with my students (although, of course, I’m sure there are some teachers that do). I learn from them, I admire them, and hopefully, I teach them a little tiny bit in return. They are truly remarkable.

Truthfully, I love my job. I have no idea how I am so lucky to be able to do what I do. In fact, besides being with the Mrs., I would rather be at school teaching than anywhere else.

So, what exactly have I learned from these young people this year? I will listify for you.
- What it means to be a true friend.
- What it means to work hard.
- What it means to never, ever give up on a dream.
- What it means to be and stay positive.
- What it means to lift others up.
- What it means to respect others.
- What it means to love learning.
- What it means to accept trials and continue with your head up.
- What it means to become better.

Thank you students.

1 comment:

Rach said...

You must be an excellent teacher, Skinny. :-) You're awesome. Let me know if you and your wifey ever want to double before Jon and I head out to Ohio!