Monday, June 22, 2009

Skies of Azure

I think today I’ll go back to the listifying. Life just seems so much easier to document in lists.

- So today I found my planner/journal from my senior year of high school (class of 99 by the way). As I looked through it, the three things that surprised me the most were:
- That I actually understood Calculus once upon a time
- How much I obsessed over girls and my interactions with them (you might think I bad now, but I am NOTHING compared to how I was in high school, ask Stephen E. Frandsen if you don’t believe me).
- How much I despised cheerleaders.

- Once upon a time I posted my rules for dating. It appears I forgot a rule. You see, recently I’ve heard through the grapevine that one of my former students would like to go on a date with me. Nothing against her, but there’s got to be some sort of grace period before a former student asks a teacher on a date right. What do you think: five years, ten years, 73 years?

- While I’m talking about past notes, I need to return to a note I once wrote about Belle. After I wrote said treatise, some of you questioned Belle’s modesty (the nerve). I’m here to defend her. You see, I believe in what’s called the Modesty Mulligan (look up Mulligan if you don’t know what it is). I mean come on, everybody has a moment of weakness when maybe they have a really attractive date or there’s a big dance and they might just slip a little. However, if their dress before and after is of good report and praiseworthy then they’re okay to be sought after in my book (so back off).

- Do you think high school students will ever realize that if they stop telling their classmates how gay and stupid those classmates are and how much they suck, that maybe they would all actually have some semblance of self-confidence? Probably not, but here’s hoping/.

- I’ve discovered I’m not supposed to covet. I guess that means I won’t be marrying Celine Dion after all. I guess it’s back to the drawing board.

- Ry-Masta (a.k.a. Techno Twin Extraordinaire), I’ve got to confess that as far as the ladies go, the still, small voice just ain’t cutting it (I must not be paying enough tithing or something). So here’s what I’m thinking: you drop by my singles ward and be my wing man (just get ready because my singles ward is a pretty crazy place). You know, maybe you could give me some tips or something. I’ve only got three years of the young single adult stuff left, I’ve got to get a move on.

- A former colleague recently wrote that my notes are always too pessimistic. As I thought about it I realized there’s something to be said about being steady. Better to be an even keel than topsy-turvy right? I mean with some people you never know what you’re going to get; the one day they’re on top of the world and then the next day they’re sure the world is going to end. Not with me, nope, a stead dose of reality. It’s like I always be saying: “Not only is the glass half-empty, but the milk’s probably sour as well.”

- While I’m at it, let me just honor my man Nathan Pacheco. Just three years ago he was a fellow ward member singing in sacrament meeting. Now he’s touring around the country performing with Yanni (I saw them on Wednesday in the ESA, it was cool). Talk about living your dreams.

- And speaking of dreams, I’ll have you know that on Saturday I did the polka down the middle of Redwood Road. It was definitely a dream come true.

2 comments:

Jana B. said...

thank you for your consistency. if there is one thing in this world that is steadily on decline, it's steadiness. you are an inspiration.

Jana B. said...

oh, and i love the polka. well-done.