Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Boycotts

According to my students, the Harlem Shake seems pretty popular these days.  Because it’s popular, I refuse to participate in or watch any such “shakeifications”.  I’m difficult like this sometimes.    I don’t know what it is, but when lots of people like or participate in something, I go on strike.  (My mother says it’s my way of rebelling.  The Mrs. just shakes her head and sighs.)

For example, when I was a freshman at the B.Y., all my fellow freshmanites would pray over their food when we were in the Cannon Center.  Because the praying was so prevalent, I, and my roommate Stephen E. Frandsen, refused (and sometimes stole the food of those who were praying).  We refused, not because we didn’t like praying (it’s not a bad practice overall), but rather because we didn’t want to be like everyone else.  Some people want to fit in. some don’t.

Anyway, in addition to my boycott of the Shake, here are some other events/items in my life where I felt it necessary to take a principled stand.  Some I eventually gave up on.  Hopefully that won’t be the case with the Shake.

- Walmart.  It is the Great and Spacious building.  Please do not go there anymore.

- The Titanic.  For 15 years I refused to watch that movie (although I love the soundtrack, especially “My Heart Will Go On” and I love Leo).  But last year the Mrs. forced me at kitchen knife point to watch it with her.  I did.  I regret every second of it.    

- The Utah Jazz in the 1990s.  Everybody loved John and Karl.  I didn’t.  Saved me a lot of heartbreak in ‘97 and ‘98. 

- Voting for Mitt in 2012.  Obviously there were a lot who didn’t vote for him outside of Utah, but there were very few, who along with yours truly and Big Stew, held out here in the cross roads of the West (Editor’s Note:  I should confess however, that I did vote for him in 2008, but that was before he was popular so I feel okay about it).

- The New York Yankees, the Los Angeles Lakers, and the University of Utah.  I will never give in.

- The Harry Potter book series.  I refused to read the books until 2007 (the first was published in 1997).  However, after watching the fifth movie, I gave in to the pressure.  After watching the movie, I had to know what was going to happen the rest of the way. (I know, I know, it doesn’t make sense that I refused to read the books, but still watched the movies).  Since then I’ve read every book at least twice.

- My finding out the gender of the expected child.  I do not know and I do not want to know until its birth day.    

- The Snow Cone craze which hits Payson High School somewhere around the middle of May.  I refuse to give in.  I will not eat a snow cone no matter how many people tell me how good they are (Editor’s Note II: However, when I played little league baseball, I did occasionally accept the proffered free snow cone at the end of a well-played game). 

- Ever After.  When it came out in 1998, I steadfastly refused to watch it.  No way, no how.  However, when I got home from the mission somehow I caved.  I don’t regret it.  I think I cried the first time through.      

And that’s all for now.  

1 comment:

Carrie said...

A. Chris and I wrote in Mitt Romney in Vermont in 2008. They'd already called the state before we even got to the booth.

B. You find out the gender of the baby so you don't refer to it as "it" for nine months. Sheesh. And holy cow! Congratulations!