Monday, July 18, 2011

I be in Portugal. I have ten things I need to tell you (and not necessarily about Portugal):

1 - My back hurts like crazy. I feel like an old man. I sit down in a chair and five minutes later I feel like I might die. How am I a 75 year old 29 year old.

2 - I’ve decided that our culture’s technological obsession has led to us valuing quantity over quality. I mean really, if you look at face book it says I have 900 friends. Not true. Not including family, I have three, maybe four friends total, and that’s on a good day. Like I said, technology emphasizes the quantity, not the quality. Another example, the Internet. Yes, it gives us a lot of information but I’m not sure that anyone who has a brain would argue that it’s quality.

3 - I just finished reading the book Great Expectations. So good. I learned about life. I love writers who make me work to understand and comprehend.

4 - I’m currently in a town called Maiorca. No offense to anyone from this town who’s reading this, but this town is literally the weirdest town I’ve ever been to. No kidding. If your planning your vacation right now, I would seriously recommend against coming here.

5 - I don’t understand Portuguese, but the people here seem very friendly (although, for all I know, they could be swearing at me and just be pretending to be happy).

6 - I miss the Mrs.

7 - I went to a Catholic mass yesterday. It was in Portuguese (refer to number 5) but I as I was listening I came to the conclusion that if I weren’t a Latter-day Saint I would either be an Amish person or a Catholic.

8 - Because I’m obsessed with sports and the current theme is the lockouts, let me weigh in. It is neither the owners nor the players fault. It is the fans’ fault for being willing to pay so much for tickets, advertising, etc.

9 - I should have learned how to play the guitar.

10 - I’ve been using a Kindle here on tour because it’s much easier than packing several books. However, I’m not converted. It’s just not for me.

And that’s all.

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

I love all of these thoughts - especially about the kindle and then picturing you be an Amish boy. I miss my frenemy. Hope you had a great time on tour!